M: "Mama, why do we have to live here on Earth? Why can't God just let us live in Heaven right away?"
My attempt to answer today's deep thought from my little philosopher went something like this:
"Well, because each one of us has a very special job to do here on Earth before we're ready for Heaven and to get us ready for Heaven, and it's our job to figure out what that special job is and do our best to do it....like right now, your special job is to be the best daughter and sister that you can be and to pray for others who need your prayers."
----------
Every time we have these discussions, I am so challenged by the actual questions she asks, because I want to give her genuine answers... and it makes me contemplate the questions/answers myself long after the conversation is over! Do I really believe I have a special purpose/plan/job here on Earth? How seriously do I take this and how does this belief affect the way I live my day to day life? Phew! No wonder why Scripture says "...women will be saved through childbearing...if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.” (I Timothy 2:15) My children sanctify me daily in so many ways- and not even just in the nitty gritty things of changing diapers and cleaning up messes! They challenge me to live out my faith genuinely because they are watching and learning, questioning and observing how Mama does it, how Mama lives it out. Thank you, Lord, for these precious souls that You make Yourself known to me through.
Every time I go forward for Communion and receive the Eucharist from Father, he first blesses each of the three kids and looks at each of them, saying to each, "I see You." Ooooh. Gives me goosebumps everytime! Yes, Jesus- you are there, in each of them! I pray I never forget this, and that you quickly remind me of this in the moments each day that I fail to see this, to see YOU in them!
One other thing Father shared with us was a story about when he was in elementary school and his teacher, a nun, talked one day about how God is everywhere. He looked up his sleeve, down his shirt, in his schoolbag, and finally when he got home, he said to his mother, "Sister said God is everywhere. Well, I want to touch Him." And his mother held out her arm towards him and said, "Here, touch me." That stuck with him forever, and it speaks so deeply to me about the reality of the presence of Christ right here, in my midst, in my own household- on my lap, for Heaven's sake! What a God! What Love! He leapt down from Heaven to walk on Earth and be in our midsts for a time, and now He comes to us in the mundane, the day to day, so we might be able to touch Him, to hold Him, to hug Him, to be loved by Him in a tangible way we can literally wrap our arms around.
..... Thanks, M, for your questions.... look at all the thoughts and emotions you stirred up in me from your own question!!
No comments:
Post a Comment