My Songs of Joy!

My Songs of Joy!
Do Re Mi Fa Sol!

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Gift So Sweet

What a gift (and how sweet it is!) to be the receiver of little 'peaks' into the minds of my children….

C (3 1/2yrs): 
Mama, God made birds, right? (Yes)
And God made all the people, right? (MmHmm)
God must be really tired from making all of the peoples!  :)

Ch (5 1/2yrs):
Mama… so, I need new undies and then I need some new long-sleeved shorts, okay?
(Uh….okay….huh? You mean shirts?)
No!!! Long-sleeve shorts!
(Um…okay.)

L (8yrs in less than a month):
Preparing to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation last Friday, we made sure to get to Confession on Thursday morning. I discussed with him the importance of having a clean soul prior to Confirmation, so he would be ready to receive all the graces from the Sacrament. We went on Thursday, had a great day, etc. Friday came along and we went to Mass in the morning, followed by Stations of the Cross. We had to skidaddle out of there to hurry down the road to our homeschool program that I head up. Before heading out, L tugged at my shirt…
Mama, can I go to Confession again before we leave?
(Sweetie, you just went 24 hours ago…are you sure you think you need to go again? Do you really think you've done anything between then and now that would cause you to have to Confession?)
I just want to be sure, Mama, that's all! Confirmation is tonight, so…. can I go??
(How on earth could a mother say 'no' to this kind of request!!??  Of course- hurry up and catch Father right away and ask him if he minds.)
So he did….
Later that day, as I dropped him and his Godfather off at the church an hour before Confirmation, I was telling his Godfather/Uncle/Sponsor about L's initiating going to Confession again this morning, and how wonderful I thought that was, even though I wondered what he possibly could have had to confess.
L: Well, I really didn't know what to confess….so I just told Father, "I'm sorry for anything I did that might have been a sin, even though I can't think of anything."
:)
L: Mama….I think I should go one more time….can I find Father again…just to be sure??
I truly don't think I have a scrupulous little guy on my hands, because he is not typically so eager and concerned on a daily basis….but I truly thought his zeal was priceless! I don't believe he found Father again before Confirmation, but nonetheless I will forever treasure his sincere desire for 3 Confessions within 32 hours! His Confirmation was truly beautiful and so special! He chose the Saint Dominic Savio as his patron/namesake.  


St. Dominic Savio, pray for us!

M (9 1/2 yrs):
She has been taking piano lessons for the school year from a fabulous man that comes to our home each week and teaches the two oldest children. After several years of inconsistent teaching on my part, this was a welcome change, giving them high caliber lessons from an excellent teacher, whose enthusiasm, joy, faith, and Godly character emanate from him so obviously! M especially has fallen in love with the piano, sitting down throughout the day to practice nearly every time she walks past the piano! Not only is her teacher helping her along with note reading and music theory, but she has recently been learning songwriting and improvisation from him as well (again, another huge benefit from this awesome teacher!) Being a music lover and performer myself, my heart swells with joy anytime my children are wrapped up in singing or music - or anything artistic for that matter! In particular today, my heart was overjoyed…..
M: Mama, how well do you think most 9 year olds play the piano?
(Well, I guess it depends on each 9 year old and how hard they practice and how much they want to get better. Why?)
M: I want to get really really good. I love the piano soooo much! Do you think I can learn to play even harder songs and play really well?
(I do. Especially since you love it so much and practice so much.)
M: Good. Because that's one thing I really want to do.
Ah. How beautiful to see a love/passion for something so good blossoming in my daughter! I don't know if that will be the same love/passion in any/all of my other children… but whatever they develop a passion for, I pray for the wisdom to help guide them and nurture them in whatever direction that may be.

K (18+ months):
K: "No!"    Currently his answer to just about everything. :)  His infectious smile pretty much wins us all over and gets him anything he wants, though…of course! He is the 'beloved' of the household right now, and very quickly becoming the next 'funny man' of the clan! Watch out, girls- the 3 Amigos look like a heap of mischief to me!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment